Who are volunteer firefighters? Our firefighters come from all walks of life. Past and present members include doctors, accountants, computer professionals, mechanics, truck drivers, farmers, students, housewives, etc. Anyone with a desire to serve their community, whether blue collar or white collar, male or female is welcome to join. The Long Hill Fire Department is always in need of new members to help us serve our community in a firefighting or a non-firefighting capacity. Currently we accept applications from men and women 16 years of age and older.
– Must be over the age of 18 (regular member), 16 to 18 (junior member)
– Resident of or employed in the Town of Trumbull
– Be in reasonable health, able to perform firefighting duties
– Male & Female
– Firefighting – Interior or exterior firefighter, apparatus chauffeur, equipment maintenance, all other fire related activities.
– Corporate – A corporate member is responsible for the administrative end of the corporation. His/Her responsibility is to serve on committees, hold corporate offices, etc.
The first part of the process is to fill out and submit an application. Upon its receipt, the Membership Chair will contact you and set up an interview with our Board of Directors. This gives us the opportunity to tell you a little about the department and what is expected of you both in your early training period as well as throughout your membership. This is also an opportune time for you to ask any questions that you may have. After you meet with our Board of Directors, we will perform a background check. Based on the results of your background check, your application may be presented to the general membership for approval or denial. Should your application be accepted, your next step will be to pass a mandatory medical physical exam paid for by the Long Hill Fire District. Upon passing your physical exam you will become a Probationary member. Probation means you are a basic trainee of the Department until completion of procedure training and also Firefighter 1 certification training (not required if the applicant is already certified). Once your probationary period is completed successfully you will be sworn in as a regular member (junior members will have to wait until they turn 18 and are Firefighter 1 certified).
– 15% of all alarms
– Minimum number of required drills and monthly meetings
– Minimum number of required monthly meetings
– Serve on at least two committees
If you are interested in becoming a member, you can apply by clicking the link below to our application.
Please return the completed application via USPS or in person to:
Long Hill Fire Department
Attn: Membership Chair
6315 Main Street
Trumbull, CT 06611
If you would like to drop the application off, you may do so by calling (203) 452-0779 and arranging a time to drop it off. Thank you for your interest in joining our organization!